Clever crochet blankets have become my latest obsession. As in crochet blankets that have a pattern and stitches that challenge me. Blankets that are made up of clever crochet squares that dazzle the eye and engage the mind to the obscurity of all else. They calm my mind and give the greatest sense of achievement when completed. My latest crochet project – Down By the Sea by Coastal Crochet is one of those blankets.
Down By the Sea A Very Clever Crochet Blanket Designed By Coastal Crochet
Eleanor From Coastal Crochet dreams up clever crochet names for her wonderful blankets. This one was inspired by a song released in 1964. A favourite childhood song ‘under the Boardwalk’ by the drifters, remember that one? Although I have to admit as a child having no idea what a board walk was! later, whilst on my first trip to LA in the 80’s I saw the raised wooden plank paths along the edge of the beaches and it clicked. An actual boardwalk, down by the sea.
Yarn, Hook and Colour Details.
Two colourways to choose from:
There are two colour choices for this blanket, one is the Brighton and the other is the Bournemouth. Bournemouth is brighter and I found the Brighton version to be more to my taste, but I added less red and swapped the yellow for pink. See Costal Crochet’s blog for more details
I used a 4mm hook size and the suggested yarn as the price for the pack came in at under a very reasonable £20.
Suggested Yarn details:
- 1 x Emu Classic DK – Biscotti (111)
- 2 x Emu Classic DK – Cadet (140)
- 2 x Emu Classic DK – Cream (102)
- 1 x Emu Classic DK – Lemon (149) I swapped this out and replaced it with pink.
- 1 x Emu Classic DK – Pepper Red (119)
- 1 x Emu Classic DK – Seafoam (144)
- 2 x Emu Classic DK – Softmint (103) I used a darker blue/green from my stash
Previous Crochet Posts
Find me On Instagram Pinterest & Facebook
The Latest Stories . . .
- Skincare Rituals That Help Me Sleep Soundly at night
- 6 Fireside Accessories You Need for your fireplace
- 5 Unusual Gifts For The Difficult To Buy For
- Gifts For A Cosy Christmas With Brands That Care
- Advent Calendar Inspo for All the Family inc. the Dog!
- Sweater Weather 6 Cosy Classic Knits The Budget Edit