This is the first Closet Core pattern I have sewn. I will admit to having previously been put off by the pattern packet illustrations. I prefer to see the real garments on a human being! In reality I should have been reminding myself that you cant judge a book by its cover! The Carolyn pyjamas were the perfect summer sew.
Carolyn Pyjamas By Closet Core Patterns
The Carolyn Pyjamas have been on my radar for sometime now. I love the tailored look of them and the fact that you can make a summer shorts and top version or a cosy winter set with long sleeves and a traditional trouser length. I love to pipe edges and this was also another reason to give this best selling pattern a try. Please not that Closet Core Patterns use the Canadian spelling of the word ‘Pajamas’
I Sewed A Summer Set – Carolyn Pyjamas with Shorts & Short Sleeves
A long time ago I was very lucky to find 4m of Liberty Tana lawn in a Charity Shop for £10! I was saving it for something special and a summer set of Carolyn Pyjamas were it, Plus I still have some left over. When I first make an indie pattern I usually make it up in scrap fabric first, in case of mistakes, Some patterns are cut better than others, In this case confident in my sewing abilities and the best selling status of the pattern I set to immediately with my liberty fabric.
My Top Tip
Read the instructions slowly again and again and again. They are brilliantly written and easy to understand, as long as you don’t assume you know how to do it and rush ahead. Just saying !
- I cut a size 14 (I am a 12 but would rather take in if needed) and Im glad I did, the pattern is cut true to size but I think Pyjamas should be comfy and loose. So I would advise you to size up.
- I made my own piping, but in retrospect I should have made it narrower. Use the narrowest piping you can find.
- Use wide elastic for the waist band it is more comfortable and after inserting elastic I sewed around it several times to prevent twisting, it also makes for a prettier waist band.
- I added a tiny ribbon bow to front of waistband, optional but pretty and gives a professional finish.
- Next time i would leave out the interfacing for the lapels, your choice but the pyjamas being night wear do not need it, in my opinion!
- Apart from this I followed the instructions to the last word,This is an excellent pattern,Highly recommended, planning a winter pair of Carolyn Pyjamas next!