Summer Skincare SPF Reviews & Why I Stopped Sunbathing In My 20’s
I stopped sunbathing in my mid 20’s. Please believe me when i say that back in the 80’s, as a British Airways flight attendant, that was not an easy thing to do. I was regularly travelling to warm weather climes, lounging by pools or beautiful beaches. So why did I stop? Quite simply my 18 year old brother was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma. He survived, but it was an awful time and quite frankly I was horrified at the damage sunshine could do not only to our skin but to our lives. Back then SPF was rarely discussed, we chose sun tan lotions with the lowest protection factor, we wanted a TAN! Summer skincare has changed a lot since then.
What is an SPF Cream?
Lets get back to basics, an SPF is a ‘Sun Protection Factor’ the numbers are a measure of how well a cream will protect you from the sun’s ultra violet radiation, preventing skin damage that can lead to cancer and the damage that rapidly ages our skin. There are two types of radiation UVA and UVB the SPF you buy needs to protect you from both types.
What is UVB and UVA?
These are the two types of radiation rays that the sun emits, UVB is a shorter ray and is the one that burns out skin and UVA is a longer ray that penetrates below our skin and causes aging and damage.
The British Association of Dermatologists recommend always using a minimum of SPF 30, which blocks 97% of UVB. To put that into context, SPF 15 blocks 93% and SPF 50 blocks 98%.
Which SPF is best for your face?
A good question & like most skincare questions, there is not just one answer, one size does not fit all. The answer depends on your colouring, your ability to tan, your skin type and of course your age. The one thing I would pass on to you is buy one and wear it everyday starting today! Go to the Boots face SPF area on their website and start educating yourself afterall, you know your skin the best..
The 4 SPF’s I am using everyday.
Yes 4, one in my makeup bag, one in my car, one in the bathroom and one in my handbag just in case I forget!
1. SOS Serum Skincare SPF 50 cream 50ml *
Vegan ✔ Cruelty-Free ✔ Made in the UK ✔ Without Parabens, SLS, Mineral Oil or Fragrance ✔
SOS serum skincare is a family of serums working to cool, heal and repair problematic skin, SOS SPF 50 Sun Cream is a broad spectrum daily protectant. This is the one I keep in my handbag! It only costs £5
- A non-sensitising, non-greasy & non-whitening formulation
- Mineral based filters
- Delivers ultimate UVA and UVB protection to help prevent premature skin ageing
- With active plant stem cells to protect the skin from photo-ageing and radical-induced damages
- Infused with antioxidants to help fight the effects of damaging free radicals
- Suitable for all skin types including children.
I enjoy using this one, that is why I keep it in my handbag, Easy pump dispenser, no spillage, unscented so doesn’t compete with your fragrance and. feels soothing on the skin. I even put it on over my makeup during the day for extra protection. Available from the Sos Serums website
2. Green People Scent Free Facial Suncream – SPF 30 50ml *
As you probably know I am a huge fan of Green people their bestselling SPF30 natural & organic facial sun cream is now vegan and is far more easily absorbed.
- Effective, broad-spectrum protection against UVA & UVB rays
- Contains high levels of antioxidants from Edelweiss & Rosemary
- Non-irritating, suitable for sensitive skin and those prone to prickly heat
- Anti-ageing Green Tea protects and maintains collagen and elastin in the skin
- Non-comedogenic, non-greasy and non-whitening, can be worn on its own or under make-up
- 73% certified organic ingredients
Immediately soothing upon application, unscented, easy pump dispenser, no whitening on skin, Because it absorbs fast I use this on my neck and chest before dressing.. This one I use everyday after moisturising it lives in the bathroom I can highly recommend!.
3. Ark Skin Essential SPF primer SPF 30. Summer Skincare *
I wrote about and reviewed Ark skincare in 2019. Ark skincare are free from Parabens, SLS, mineral oil, S.D. Alcohol, Formaldehyde, and Artificial Colours & Fragrances. Avoiding these irritants is the fist step in achieving optimum skin health. This SPf product is a primer, a sunscreen and a moisturiser all in one.
- A blend of UVA and UVB filters offers broad spectrum SPF30 protection against damaging UV rays
- Hyaluronic Acid Booster limits water loss through the skin’s barrier maintaining hydration levels
- Vitamin E, and Shea Butter moisturise, protect and soothe
- A complex of Jojoba, Mimosa and Sunflower reinforces the skin’s barrier function
Not my favourite and here’s why; its not as rich as the previous two, has a lotion like runnier consistency and is the whitest of all of these creams but it does rub in quickly. Contains a lovely scent, but I prefer my suncreams unscented. Warning If you get it in your eyes it stings! So to put it simply, I prefer a dedicated sunscreen not a sunscreen in another product. As i mentioned previously skincare is very personal and this stuff has won awards!
4. Dr. Ceuracle Cica Regen Anti-Dust Sun Gel SPF 50
A Korean beauty product that I love. A sun-protection product that can be used as a sunscreen, essence and moisturiser. This one is my favourite one to use before makeup. Dr. Ceuracle infuses natural ingredients to create the skincare that delivers results regardless of skin type. Among its many achievements, the brand is well-known and highly appreciated for treating sensitive, troubled skin and uneven skin tones.
The Dr Ceuracle Cica Regen Anti-Dust Sun Gel contains a cica complex to calm irritated skin and protect against pollutants like fine dust.
What is Cica and what are it’s benefits?
Cica is the skincare ingredient of the moment. Cica is short for centella asiatica, a medicinal plant or botanical. Worth noting that Centella asiatica also goes by other names including Gotu kola, Indian Pennywort and Tiger Grass. It is beneficial for dry-very dry skin, has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and can help support the barrier function of the skin.
If you can find this brilliant summer skincare product buy it immediately! It feels brilliant when applied, and calms my skin immediately. As a hay fever sufferer who lives in the country side I am convinced it also stops my face itching when the pollen count is high! Feel Unique sell Dr Ceuracle so I may try some of the other products now.
A polite Warning . . .
Bonus review: my 2 ‘Must Have’ Summer Products that I think you will love!
Whilst I am reviewing products especially useful for summer skincare, I cannot leave you, without mentioning two of my absolute favourites. I buy them every year.
Trinny London BFF Skin perfector Cream with SPF 30
I have previously reviewed and shouted my head off about this cream since early 2018 in fact! The perfect no makeup looking foundation, its your skin but better and it has an SPF 30. I have to admit I am on my 7th or 8th tube! I buy Medium in summer and Light in winter,
- Micro-encapsulated pigments even out your skin tone creating a flawless glow
- Enriched with the precious extract of antioxidant Porcelain Flower
- Boosts glow and tones down redness
- Instantly hydrates and wakes up tired-looking skin
- SPF 30 protects skin from everyday exposure to UV
Available here from Trinny London
This Works Perfect Legs Skin Miracle, the perfect summer skincare for legs.
I am not very good at applying fake tan, so this is the answer to pale blotchy legs. not a fake tan, more a tinted cream that blends everything beautifully and gives you a hint of a tan. Its actually a tinted multi vitamin serum that preps and polishes your legs when you get them out on show!
Available From M & S
- How to Use: Massage into dry skin anytime, or use after This Works skin deep dry leg oil for extra sheen
- Can be used all over the body for a top-to-toe glow
- Be confident getting your legs out with this powerful, tinted serum, full of vitamins to enhance and repair skin
- Easily absorbed, its rich blend of Vitamin C and Vitamin E will help repair skin and Arnica will help even out skin tone and fade bruising. Caramel will add warmth and immediately transform the skin with a subtle skin kissed tint
- Massage into your legs at any time of day, to instantly enhance legs and combat skin imperfections – you’ll love the instant glow
- Summer Skincare SPF Reviews & Why I Stopped Sunbathing In My 20’s
- New Books Reviewed; Textured Crochet Patchwork Crochet & Crochet Little Heroes.
- April 2021 Five Things. A Journal Edit
- Post Lockdown First Outing – Deciding What To Wear
- Blog Maintenance 5 Actions For Each Season