Colour block knitwear is everywhere for spring 2021. A refreshing change from the grey and black sweatshirts I’ve been living inso far this year. Colour is joyful, although I have toned down my preferences and now enjoy a more neutral colour palette for my everyday wardrobe. Colour mixing needs a good eye to pull it off or else you can easily end up looking like ‘ermm… I’m desperately searching for a polite description but ‘Circus Clown’ keeps popping up! So big yes to colour blocking but make it subtle . . .
Tone: In colour theory, a tone is any pure hue with Neutral Grey added. The colour remains the same only less vibrant. The values can range from very light to very dark.
Shade: in colour theory, a shade is any pure hue with black added. The colour remains the same only darker.
My Colour Block Jumper
At the beginning of December 2020 Alexis, the uber talented ‘Two of Wands’ crochet designer, published the Shelter Pullover pattern. For me it was love at first sight, I immediately added the pattern to my cart and began to plan a colour scheme. From the start I knew I was going to make it in random colour block stripes. Random as in size of block not random colours (heaven forbid!) The colours would be selected from my all-time favourite palette of denim and ice blues and rusty chestnut browns.
A Colour Block Version of The Shelter Pullover.
I find it hard to be random, so I challenged myself and decided that for my colour block adaptation I would start a colour block with one ball of wool and stop the block when it ran out. I would work this way for each of the four pieces and see what came off my hook. It was actually more exciting not knowing how the end result would look, I was leaving it to serendipity.
Crochet Shelter Pullover – The Details
Colour block Jumper the Details:
- Pattern: Crochet Shelter pullover by Two of Wands
- Hook size 10mm (pattern says us 11.5 mm)
- Yarn: all Hue and Me from Love crafts .com
The Yarn – Hue & me, I used these colours
- Colour: Lion Brand Hue & Me – Sea Glass (172) ✕ 2.0 balls
- Colours: Lion Brand Hue & Me – Arrowwood (132) ✕ 2.0 balls
- Colour: Lion Brand Hue & Me – Bellini (102) ✕ 1 ball
- Colour: Lion Brand Hue & Me – Agave (173) ✕ 2.0 balls
Have you read these?
- The Late Summer Shawl from Inside crochet issue 69
- My Sea Glass Crochet Shawl Looks Like Lace!
- Repair And Rewear – Make Do & Mend Products at Sugru.com