Contemporary, modern crochet will always be my go to style, especially when choosing new patterns for my crochet projects. Clashing brights acrylics are not for me (I used to love them) My pet hate is neon. I grew up in the eighties and wore it all back then. Oh the horror! I had a neon green swimsuit in 1989, but it was from Emporio Armani! My preferred colour palette these days are soft neutrals, plus black and dark grey. However, sometimes you have to relax the rules and go with your mood. The good old Granny Square was my first crochet love, it is usually the first thing you learn when crocheting as a beginner. I can crochet a granny blanket with my eyes closed, which comes in very handy when watching TV!
The Humble Granny Square Blanket Is A Crocheters BFF!
The story behind this granny square blanket, begins with another blanket; the Casa Kahlo Blanket by Memphis Blanket, with variations to allow for yarn shortages. So I started like this:. After almost finishing that blanket I decided to use up my leftover scraps to make another
My preferred colour palette these days are soft neutrals,
A Granny Square Blanket In The Wild
The minute I finished this one I could not wait to capture it in the wild, I thought the forest would make a wonderful background for the soft hues. in the blanket. I was right the russets and ochres of the Autumn bracken contrasted beautifully in my opinion!
Granny Square Pattern Details and Variations.
A Note On My Colour Palette
As I mentioned previously, I adapted this pattern to match my left over yarn quantities. So the yarn I had the most of went to the larger squares, and the least amount of yarn went to the tiny granny squares, which by the way are not in the original pattern.
For your reference,these are the colours I used
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Seafoam Blue (331)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Vanilla Cream (307)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Slate Grey (305)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Light Caramel (308)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Coffee Bean (310)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Vintage Pink (355)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Soft Fudge (309)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Candyfloss Pink (349)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Blush Pink (353)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky – Washed Teal (332)
I cannot specify yarn quantity because they were all leftover from a previous project. I would say dive in to your yarn scrap basket, but keep to the same weight. This yarn is Simply Chunky by Paint Box Yarns it is a very soft and squishy acrylic. Paint box yarns is the only acrylic I use these days. I highly recommend it! I bought it via lovecrafts,com a lovely yarn, crochet and knit website, Also highly recommend.
I used a size 6 hook throughout. If you want it more open and lace-like, use a larger hook for this chunky weight yarn. My favourite hooks have bamboo handles.
A Granny Square Crochet Blanket Perfects for Picnics!
Have you read these crochet posts?
Check out my Pinterest Boards for more crochet ideas and inspiration & have a look at my Crochet Category Page for more crochet and yarny stuff! Or check out the LDJ Home Page for all the latest posts.
Find me On Instagram Pinterest & Facebook
The Latest Stories . . .
- Skincare Rituals That Help Me Sleep Soundly at night
- 6 Fireside Accessories You Need for your fireplace
- 5 Unusual Gifts For The Difficult To Buy For
- Gifts For A Cosy Christmas With Brands That Care
- Advent Calendar Inspo for All the Family inc. the Dog!
- Sweater Weather 6 Cosy Classic Knits The Budget Edit