My Lidl Heroes vs Tesco a Comparison Shop
Lidl has opened just up the road from us. It makes me happy to see the brand new shiny building that has been cleverly designed to recede into the lay of the land. I could walk to Lidl if I wanted, but I dont because of carrying heavy bags back home.
(By the way lets get this straight from the beginning, this post is not sponsored, I love Lidl)
Lidl vs Tesco
For the last 12 years the only local supermarket we had with free and adequate parking was Tesco. I feel that they were able to hold us to ransom with their poor fruit and veg quality and high prices. The special offers in store were never in stock and most of the staff were grumpy. The next big store was over half an hour’s drive away. With a growing son and trying to fit in shopping with school pick ups and drop offs before work you can perhaps understand why we put up with it?
No More, so eat your heart out Tesco, Lidl has landed and I’m only ever coming back to you to buy Twinings tea because Lidl dont sell it. Take that!
On my list
I had an idea whilst writing a very basic shopping list today. To compare prices for these very basic items that we get through quite quickly. Then I thought you might like to see the results too?
- Washing up liquid: although we mainly use the dishwasher, this is for the sponge brush ‘thingy’ you fill its handle with washing up liquid, it’s great for cleaning roasting pans that are too big for the dishwasher. Nothing fancy needed here.
- Shower Gel: for my teenage son and step son (they get through so much of this stuff?)
- Anti Dandruff Shampoo: see above.
- Nurofen: for the medicine box
- Fresh Flowers: for me!
- Toothpaste: we are not fussy.
- Nutella: Again for the boys, my son puts this in his porridge in the mornings and on toast for snacks.
“…eat your heart out Tesco, Lidl has landed and I’m only ever coming back to you to buy Twinings Tea, because Lidl dont sell it.”
My Lidl buys
- Washing up liquid 500ml : 75p
- lime shower gel 250ml: 65p
- Anti dandruff Shampoo 300ml : 59p
- Ibuprofen 16 tablets: 25p
- 6 Fresh English Gladioli stems: £1.60
- Toothpaste 125ml: 55p
- Chocolate Hazelnut spread £1.19
Total: spend Lidl £5.38
My Tesco Buys
I did not actually buy the tesco items I browsed on line to compare…
All tesco own brands apart from shower gel Tesco did not make equivalent.
- Washing up liquid 450ml: 70p
- Lime shower gel 250ml: £1.00 (couldn’t find a tesco’s own version)
- Tesco anti dandruff shampoo 300ml: £1.00
- Ibuprofen 16 tablets: 35p
- Equivalent bouquet flowers 3.00 (seen on sale in local store today, no gladioli available)
- Tesco freshmint toothpaste 100ml 50p
- tesco hazelnut choc spread 400g: £1.50
Total Tesco spend £8.05
In conclusion I only saved £2.67 but lidl also had more volume than tesco on some products, so appeared cheaper. I would say the quality is negligible and if the boys are happy then so am I !
I used to be a snob about cut price supermarkets, a fact that no longer applies! Do you like lidl or Aldi? i must find an Aldi and take a look are they similar?
Plus I can’t wait to see Heidi Klums collection for Lidl!
How are you coping with kids and the summer holidays have you entertained them with a Patio picnic yet?
bestest wishes to you and yours