I had the idea for this project, when I noticed that the ‘other side’ of the wardrobe i.e., his side, still contained a few sturdy wire coat hangers. Horrified I reached up to remove these offending items when I had an idea. I could recycle them! I simply combined my love of chunky modern crochet and my passion for recycling!
PS… he only has a small space, and the wardrobe is huge, so guess who takes up most of it?
Such A simple thing to Recycle
You will need:
All the things below,
- Scissors and a large tapestry needle:
- Boodles yarn or similar super chunky yarn.
- A large hook, I used my new favourite size 10 mm (us size N15)
- Plus, A thick wire coat hanger of obvs!
A note on the wire coat hanger
The old coat hangers are the best to use as they are made from strong wire, they are very sturdy, unlike the thin and bendy modern ones. If you can only find modern ones, then perhaps use a smaller hook like an 6mm (us size J 10) and an arran yarn
The Recycle How to, the Details:
The crochet stitches
I started with a loop on my hook and crochet all around using a DC double crochet stitch please note this is a SC single crochet in the US! Cover the entire hanger, picking up the yarn from each side as you crochet.
TOP TIP! leave a long end as it makes it easier to weave in ends.
See below for a close-up detail
To Finish the Recycle project
Use your tapestry needle and yarn be sure to wrap any sharp ends and weave in over the top of the stitches to finish. Make sure the ends are hidden. Squash the stitches flat if needed.
Add a Trim?
The choice is yours as to how you want to decorate this recycle project. You could add a ‘garnish’ in the form of a flower or two or a bow?
As these were for him, I kept them simple. What do you think?
He likes them and as an added bonus they don’t take up much room in the wardrobe. They are very useful for knits too as the hangers are non-Slippy! The perfect recycle everyone is happy.
You can find all my crochet posts here, click the link and have a read!
Find me On Instagram Pinterest & Facebook
The Latest Stories . . .
- 5 Coats & Jackets Warm Winter Sewing Inspiration
- What Is A Thrift flip? Something New From Old
- 5 Must-Have Sewing Tools to Elevate Your Projects
- Travel Beauty Products 5 Sustainable Essentials
- Clothes Doctor Protects & Extends The Life Of Clothes
- Summer Essentials With Fitflop & Cotton Traders