Sewing Boxer Shorts as a Gift? here’s how . . .
Do you need some Fathers Day gift inspiration for June 21st? How about sewing boxer shorts for men ? Mens boxer shorts are very easy to sew. Find all the details and a pattern suggestion below. This was an easy and quick sew. He was delighted with the result and has since requested many more pairs! I am sure you could easily make ladies boxer shorts too!
Mr June came in handy, he was my muse and my consultant all rolled into one. We discussed fit, comfort and preferences I listened carefully with my notebook and pen to hand.
You will Need:
- 1. A Pattern – I used the Darcy Boxers shorts a free pdf pattern.
- Edit this was written in 2015! there are now many more patterns available.
Do you know I could not find one commercial pattern for men’s underwear, yep can you believe it?
I searched the current collection from Butterick, Burda, Vogue, McCalls, Simplicity and New Look. Eventually I turned to the internet and found a fab online pattern designer in Australia I immediately downloaded the
Fabric and other stuff:
- 2. Fabric at least 95cms x 112 CMS width I would say go for the 1m length, these boxer shorts actually take up more fabric than you think, especially if you are playing with design placement, or pattern matching.
Both fabrics used here were a kind gift from elephant in my Handbag
- 3. Elastic 25mm width or wider, we decided buttons and interfacing were optional.
4. All the usual sewing paraphernalia; thread, scissors, pins…
I found this pattern true to size and cut a size large.
Notes: I did not use interfacing, these are under wear shorts and needed to be soft and comfortable, For the same reason and after discussion with ‘toh’ we also decided buttons on the fly were not needed. This is up to you, but the fly stays closed and does not have a wide opening!
Sewing Boxer shorts the Tutorial
To start Trace off your chosen size from your pdf pattern, be sure to cut 2 of the back piece and only one each of the front pieces. plus your fly piece.
Instructions For Sewing Boxer shorts for men.
1. Match a back panel with a front panel and sew the inside leg seams, neaten and press to the back.
2. Neaten both edges of crotch seams separately before sewing . use an overlocker or a zig-zag stitch.
3. Place back and front panels right sides together, pin and sew, finish just before the fly.
4. Fold fly piece in half right sides together and turn back the edges, sew bottom together up to the folded edge, trim edge and snip corner, turn right side out, making sure you have a crisp corner!
5. Sandwich front right hand side of fly between fly panel, topstitch through all layers and press.
6. Fold left hand side of fly panel back, press and topstitch in place following line of curve,
7. A t this point the pattern added button holes for buttons which I ignored. if you want buttons follow pattern info.
8. Place fly panels together, Placing left hand side over right hand side and top stitch through all layers at base of fly.
9. Place both sides right sides together and line up side seams, pin sew and press, neaten with zig-zag or over-locker .
10. Overlock or zig-zag waist and leg raw edges.
Boxer shorts for men – Measure Twice cut once!
11. Measure and cut elastic to size, butt ends together and sew to join with a stretch zig zag stitch. Mark centre back, front points and sides by folding. (you are dividing the elastic into 4 quarters.) Pin to mark these points
Match the elastics pinned points to centre front seam, centre back seam and side seams. tuck fabric behind elastic. sew by stretching elastic from both sides.
12. Try on and pin – mark hem length turn up hem and you are done! I liked them so much I made another pair in the jersey cloud fabric. Mr June was very happy to model his new pants for you, but I would only let him show you a glimpse!
A huge thank you to Elephant in my Handbag for supplying the fabric and the inspiration for these boxer shortsldj
Previously on Ldj:
Find me On Instagram Pinterest & Facebook
The Latest Stories . . .
- Skincare Rituals That Help Me Sleep Soundly at night
- 6 Fireside Accessories You Need for your fireplace
- 5 Unusual Gifts For The Difficult To Buy For
- Gifts For A Cosy Christmas With Brands That Care
- Advent Calendar Inspo for All the Family inc. the Dog!
- Sweater Weather 6 Cosy Classic Knits The Budget Edit