A crochet hairband tutorial…
Do you fancy crocheting a summer hair band? It would be great for the summer holidays…?
It is very simple. If you can crochet a double crochet and a treble crochet stitch, then this ‘how to’ is for you.
(A note for beginners: The middle pink row is called a Popcorn stitch, it is 4 trebles crocheted in the same stitch, you then remove your hook from the loop, insert your hook into the last chain before the trebles from front to back, and back in the dropped loop, yarn round hook and draw through loop on hook )
You will need: some scraps of yarn. in two colours. Cotton is lovely for a summer headband, I used Drops Muscat.
A small piece of wide (ish) elastic: I used a piece 5-6cms long.
A size 3.5 crochet hook.
You can use what ever size you want according to your yarn type. If you want a chunky hair band use a larger hook, and if you want a finer smaller band use a smaller hook, there are no rules!
If you are am experienced crocheter works as follows:
- 81 ch
- A row of treble to end, turn
- A row of dc to end, change colour in last stitch, turn
- 3ch (counts as 1 treble) 1 treble in next stitch * 3ch, miss two stitches, popcorn stitch in next stitch (using four trebles) , 3ch, miss two stitches, popcorn stitch, repeat from * work two trebles in last two stitches, changing colour in last stitch, turn
- A row of dc: working 2dc in chain space and 1dc in popcorn stitch,
- finish with a row of trebles in each stitch. fasten off.
A Beginners more detailed how to : might be easier for you to follow?
- I crocheted a chain of 81,you can make it smaller for a child, again there are no rules! It should fit around your head and finish just behind your ears.
- Insert hook into 4th chain from hook (counts as first treble) and treble in every stitch to end, turn.
- One chain, dc into first stitch and every stitch to end, change colour in last ‘yarn over’ of last stitch.
- work 3 chain (this counts as your first treble) work a treble in next stitch then * 3ch, miss two stitches then a popcorn stitch ( we are using 4 trebles not 5 as in the diagram below….)
repeat from * work a treble in last two stitches and change colour in last yarn over of stitch.
5. The next row is a row of double crochet, work 1dc in top of first treble, 1dc in top of popcorn stitch, and 2 dc in each chain space repeat to end turn,
6. work a row of trebles in each stitch to end fasten off.
Attach elastic by machine or sew by hand: make sure it is secure and fits snugly…
I wear my hairband when I am sewing or gardening and around the house….where will you wear yours?
I hope it makes sense, I am not the best stitch writer, I can make most things up, but when it comes to writing it all down it is much more difficult.
Huge respect to all my fave crochet designers…!
Ps Ever since I installed disqus comments, I am having trouble with blogger comments they are not showing up when posted via a mobile site? Apologies x