A Classic from 1957 Vintage Simplicity 2312
Vintage Simplicity 2312 aka lounge robe as it is called in the pattern. For wearing at home by the fire with pyjama bottoms and apparently a pipe! We decided to take it for coffee to a local Hotel and snap pictures of it in suitable surroundings. The wood panels of the sitting room evoke a long lost era when smoking jackets were actually worn.
I wanted to modernise this classic style so he could wear it like a dressing gown. I chose a medium weight jersey like a sweat shirt fabric. Heavy enough to hold some shape. To contrast with this and as a nod to the past history of lounging robes. I used stretchy crushed velvet. For the wrap front and pockets, next time I would make the tie belt in the same fabric. Although I think I stretched the front facing a bit too much during the sewing process.
I used a ballpoint needle and overlocked all the seams. It would be lovely to make a silk version in a longer length.
Vintage Simplicity 2312 the verdict.
A simple sew, but vintage patterns have no printed info on the pattern pieces and come up small. Instead of notches there are punched holes that you mark on the fabric with chalk and tailor tacks. Believe me it will make your life easier and your garment fit well!
Edit ; He declared it comfy and wore it for the rest of the year. Eventually it shrunk in the wash and the dogs used it as a comfy blanket!
A Year Of Sewing For Men. The results
- January lounging in vintage style
- February is the outdoors type
- March M is for Madness
- April is having fun at the fair
- May Gets Shirty.
- June is missing
- July Chilling Surfer Style.
- August was a mash up
- September Sewing Fail!
- October was a Beanie Bonanza
- November PJ’s
- December Frilly fun.
- A year of sewing for men
More Vintage . . .
Find me On Instagram Pinterest & Facebook
The Latest Stories . . .
- Skincare Rituals That Help Me Sleep Soundly at night
- 6 Fireside Accessories You Need for your fireplace
- 5 Unusual Gifts For The Difficult To Buy For
- Gifts For A Cosy Christmas With Brands That Care
- Advent Calendar Inspo for All the Family inc. the Dog!
- Sweater Weather 6 Cosy Classic Knits The Budget Edit