Growing Growing Grown…a dressing gown tale: simplicity 1946, my last sewing of 2013.
I do believe that the boy in our house has had an extraordinary growth spurt.
He needed a new dressing gown (aka a bathrobe)
Our local Next store had sold out of his size and preferred colourway.
He then declared he did not need a new one and was happy with his old one…a typical boy!?
In desperation and running out of time to even shop on line…..
I had an idea…..
I removed a thick fleece blanket from the pile on his bed, found a pattern and snipped up the blanket to make a new robe.
Within a couple of hours he had a perfectly sized warm and toasty new dressing gown
….a very satisfied boy who wore it all day last week!
However, he was not at all keen to be photographed in it …understandably (its his age!)
I did managed a few snaps…
He agreed to it being photographed with his new stunt scooter……
but then the dog wanted to be in the picture and it all got a little complicated!
This is probably my last sewing project before the new year….
Simplicity 1946: a pattern I bought from a charity shop for £1.50.
Very easy to cut and use, all sizes from child to adult included…will definitely make one for myself in the spring!
I used the ‘child to teen size’
Easy instructions aimed at a beginner level. I ignored the instructions and adapted them to suit the thickness of my fabric, which did not need any neatening, as it did not fray.
I also did not use interfacing as again the fabric was very thick.
I used a metre of fabric that was 115cms wide ….. needless to say I also did not follow the pattern layout.
the pattern recommends 2m of fabric for this width!
I recommend it; easy and quick to make, for a beginner or an experienced sewer.